When it comes to the usage of power, all escalators are not made equal. The larger an escalator is, the better it rises and the wider its steps are, the more energy it would consume. In terms of the number of visitors it receives, it also makes a difference.
Escalators, like elevators, have a wide variety of power usage options. According to a consultant, a typical escalator in a shopping mall, which has a 7.5 horsepower motor, rises 15 feet above the ground and is kept working 14 hours a day, six days a week could use around 7,500 kilowatt-hours. Now, you might be wondering where does the escalator gets its energy from?
Things you should know about escalators
- Usually, escalators operate at a constant speed, unless you slow one down to cut down your energy bills. As more people board up an escalator, the motor will have to work harder to keep everything going at the same speed. The motor consumes more electricity because it pulls a greater current.
- In the case of a down escalator, the current and power used decreases as passengers board them. When occupancy is detected, sensors activate the escalator, which runs for a defined amount of time after the person has arrived at their destination.
- The most proficient method to transport big groups of people is to use escalators. Airports, bus and train stations, commercial and office buildings, shopping malls, hotels, hospitals, universities, and government buildings are all examples of where they are employed. The energy consumption of an escalator is determined by the step width (which is related to the peak load carrying capacity), traffic patterns, control type, annual running hours, and vertical increase. A 15-foot-high shopping center escalator that runs 14 hours a day/6 days a week might utilize 4,000 to 10,000 kWh per year. A 20-foot rise on a larger escalator in a hotel or convention center, a machine that runs continuously may use 31,000 kWh per year. An escalator with a 35-foot lift at an airport might require around 60,000 kWh per year.
How to conserve energy while operating escalators?
- There are various methods for conserving energy while using escalators. Stop-and-go operations are possible when there is little or no traffic. When the elevator is not in use, it turns off. Again, it turns on when the pressure mats, photocells, or infrared beams detect the presence of a passenger. The elevator must have a soft-start feature so that it can gradually increase to its full operational speed. Building codes may prohibit this kind of operation, and it is frequently discouraged due to liability concerns. Those who come across a stop should be aware that it is a sign of an impending issue. When people see an escalator that isn’t moving, they often assume it’s broken.
- Slowing down the elevator when there are no passengers is a viable option. Energy savings of 15% to 40% can be achieved by installing variable speed drives or using variable voltage motor controllers. With medium traffic, this option is handy. On extensively used down escalators, regenerative braking can be used, and LED light sources can be placed for skirt guard, comb, and rail illumination. Improvements in lighting alone can save between 1,600 and 2,000 kWh per year.
- Escalators do generate some great scope for the purpose of saving energy if one can make out how to reduce energy consumption when they move along without any load. Motor efficiency can be regulated by controlling the escalators.
Of course, escalator get their energy from the electric connection of the building. The overall consumption largely depends on a number of factors, as discussed in this post. Also, there are different ways to cut down this energy consumption.
Benefits Of Escalator Maintenance Management Programs
When your building has an escalator inside of it, you will find that this is one item that will require maintenance at regular intervals. The issue that can come up is not really scheduling this maintenance because you may be concerned about the time it means you will be without the escalator. By exploring the benefits of an escalator maintenance management program, you will not mind getting one of these scheduled and know that it will work for everything that you are going to try to get done. Without this, you could have some problems in getting the right program in place because it is going to be something that you never thought about using before.
May Be Required By Law
This is one aspect that a lot of businesses have a tendency to overlook and that is the fact that some of these are going to be required by law. This is going to be something that you will have to keep records of as well to allow the inspectors to see that you have been doing your maintenance on the escalators.
When you are doing these because they are required by law you will want to make sure you know about the fact that these are going to be inspected and this means you will need to have the inspection done to the level or even exceeding the limits that the law has in place. Then you will be able to provide your customers with the proper level of protection that you want to have and know it is going to work for your needs and those of the inspectors who will be checking to make sure all the maintenance and inspections have been done properly.
Sometimes the inspections will focus on the equipment room as well and routine maintenance will help here. This is because you will find the routine maintenance plans are going to help in getting to make sure the equipment room is properly organized and does not have any of the issues of items laying around on the floor or even creating a hazard in the equipment room.
Can Help Reduce Insurance Cost
This is an aspect that not a lot of people think about and that is when the escalator maintenance management programs are being done properly and are in place to be evaluated you will have chance of qualifying for various discounts on your business insurance. That is because you are putting a plan in place to take care of the maintenance of an item that could easily hurt people.
This is going to show the insurance company that you are going to be proactive at keeping the visitors to your store safe and that you are going to keep the business operating safely because this is one item that does not get inspected often in a business for maintenance or even having routine maintenance scheduled because it can be difficult to maintain these properly.
Helps To Prevent Major Issues
This is a great feature when you have a routine maintenance program in place and that is the fact these are going to help the maintenance crew notice any small problems. By getting to see these smaller problems, you will notice they can be fixed right away. This can then prevent you from having a major issue that would be a cause for concern or even taking more time out for the machine having to be done to get the repairs made.
A good example of this helping to prevent the major issues is looking at the bearings. These are an item that you usually would think is going to be working properly, but you need to realize it can make a major difference if these are not cared for they can easily burn up which then will require a replacement of the bearing, but could also lead to you having to replace some of the other bearing and potentially a motor as well because they can get burned out.
When you have a maintenance program in place you will also notice this is going to help in getting the proper oiling done and replacement parts installed. Yes, these will need to get replacement parts over time and with the logs for maintenance be able to keep track of which parts need to be replaced and when they will need to be replaced so you will not have the escalator down for maintenance all the time as you can have it scheduled to do different parts at different times.
Ensures The Escalator Is Properly Functioning
This is the main thing that you will want to look at here and that is the fact this is going to allow you to have an escalator that will be working right. This means you will be able to get the machine and know that when the customers need to get on it that it will be working right. Then you do not have to be concerned about the machine not working when they need to have it working.
The other thing that you will find is when the maintenance is being done on the escalator on a routine basis it will not be down as often as what you would expect it to be for service. This is a great feature as it allows you to have the machine up for the customers and know it will be working for the people to get to the location they are trying to reach as well.
An Escalator Maintenance Management Progam Helps Protect Customers
The customers are key to keeping your business open and that is definitely something that you are going to want to make sure they are safe. So you will want to know that these programs are going to help ensure the customers will be safe and not hurt as the maintenance when done on these are going to be done at a regular interval which will help keep the customers protected from the sharp edges on the steps, equipment failure, or in the worse case scenario a fire that could happen in the equipment room of the escalator because of an overworked piece of equipment.
In addition to this maintenance program allowing the customers to get around safely, it will also make sure the machine is working right when the people need to get on them to move to the area they are going to. This means the customers can finally get around and you as the owner will not have to be concerned about the customers not reaching where they are going and giving up because the escalator was down because it had a breakdown.
When you are looking at the escalators that are inside f your business you will find that it can be a challenge to find the right reasons to keep a maintenance program for them. By knowing about the benefits of getting an escalator maintenance management program in place you will find that it is going to be something that is going to help keep the escalator up for a longer period of time, ensure you get the operating license you need to have, but also being able to get the proper help for the customers. All of this is going to make it easier for you to justify the cost of getting the plans in place and know that it will help guarantee that everything is going to work and keep the business opening without spending a fortune for insurance cost or upkeep cost.